1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Resources for Writers

Print E-mail

Written by Oredigger Newspaper

Posted on 23 February 2009

Resources for Writers

If you are a staff member of The Oredigger, below are some helpful resources.

Human Resources PaperworkYou will need to bring an original copy of your Social Security Card when you turn these forms into Human Resources (bottom floor, North end of Guggenheim Hall). Additionally, if you are a non-resident alien, there are a few different forms to fill out.

Click here to download a documents for New Student Workers.


If you are not an Oredigger staff member and would like to submit a piece for publication in The Oredigger, please follow the respective guidelines below. Please be sure to include your name, e-mail address, and position in the article itself. Within 2 days of receipt, an Oredigger representative will contact you. All editions print Monday morning, so please be sure that all submissions are received by the proceeding Wednesday at 5 PM. If you have any questions, please feel free to call (303-384-2188) or e-mail us ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ). Thank you.

News Articles and Press Releases
. All submitted news pieces must be completely void of personal opinion and editorialization. Properly written, news pieces should be 90% quotations and cited facts, with the remaining 10% used to couch information. Articles should be between 300 and 700 words. Each paragraph should contain one main idea, structured such that paragraphs flow from idea to idea, and should be completely void of personal pronouns (I, us, you, etc.). Ideally, the first paragraph should capture the reader's attention in 35 words or less, fully describing the who, what, when, and where of the piece.

Features Articles. Due to their human-interest style, features pieces essentially follow a relaxed version of the "news" style. Bias is acceptable in selecting which quotes and information to use, but only if it effectively adds to the flare and attractiveness of the piece as a whole. In this light, it is generally also more acceptable to present additional information outside of a "quote and cited facts" frame. As with news pieces, personal pronouns should be avoided at all costs. Smaller, straight-forward features should be between 300 and 500 words. In-depth, human-interest features should be between 500 and 900 words.

Opinion Articles
. The Oredigger continues to openly accept Letters to the Editor; see the link under the "About" tab of the website. If you would like to submit a formal op-ed column, please contact The Oredigger regarding specific details and publication dates. Successful op-ed pieces typically range from 300 to 600 words; we find empirically that excessive length subdues interest in the piece.

Sports Articles. Essentially, sports articles have tremendous leniency on opinionated content. As long as the author follows general "Features" style - noted above - they are free to make selective, editorial comments throughout the piece. Naturally, all sports articles should be void of overly-opinionated statements. Solid sports articles, with enough factual information, are typically between 400 and 900 words.

Satire Articles
. If you would like to submit a piece for publication in the Satire section of the paper, please contact the Editorial Board ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) with your request.

Please note that The Oredigger will not pay for submitted articles. Thank you.

Colorado School of Mines

See the PDF Version


Oredigger Classifieds

  • Banner
  • Banner

Most Viewed Articles