As college students, taking time out of an evening to cook a warm and hearty meal can be a drag, especially after a long day at school. Come dinnertime, the stomach growls, but piles of homework are waiting to be done. However, with this recipe it only takes a few minutes of preparation in the morning to come home to a steaming bowl of delicious chili. Utilize the beauty of crock-pots!
1. 1.5 lb ground beef or turkey
2. 1 small onion, chopped
3. 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
4. 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
5. 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
6. 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, un-drained
7. 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, un-drained
8. 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, un-drained
9. 2 tbsp. chili powder
10. Optional: shredded cheese for topping
1. In the morning, or even the night before, brown the onions and ground beef or turkey in a skillet on medium-high heat.
2. Drain any extra fat, and then transfer to a crock-pot. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese) and mix everything together.
3. Cook in a crock-pot on high heat for 6-8 hours.
4. Enjoy hot with crackers or cornbread.