Looking for dessert with a “wow-factor?” Want something different than the ordinary, something that uses some serious baking skills? If so, this delicious and decadent cupcake recipe is for you. Strawberries and chocolate come together to satisfy any sweet craving. Show off to a special someone or impress friends and co-workers. The work is well worth the results, so put an apron on and happy baking. (Recipe courtesy of yourcupofcake.com)
1. Strawberries and baking chocolate for decoration
(For cupcake batter)
1. 1 Box chocolate or devil’s food cake mix
2. ½ C. melted butter, cooled (or oil)
3. 3 eggs
4. 2 tsp. vanilla extract
5. ¾ C. milk
6. ½ C. sour cream
(For strawberry buttercream frosting)
1. ¾ C. butter, softened
2. 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
3. 1 tsp. vanilla extract
4. 2-4 Tbsp. strawberry puree (see note)
5. 3-4 C. powdered sugar, as needed
*Note: To make strawberry puree, simply put strawberries (washed and cut) into a blender and mix until fruit reaches a soup consistency.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl mix the butter (or oil), eggs, vanilla extract, milk and sour cream for the cupcake batter. Stir until smooth.
3. Gently sift the cake mix into the wet ingredients. Stir until fully mixed.
4. Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full and bake cupcakes for 17-22 minutes. Check to see if the cupcakes are done by inserting a knife, if it comes out clean they are ready.
5. Let the cupcakes cool while beginning the frosting.
6. Beat the butter and the cream cheese in a mixer or large bowl until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of the strawberry puree. Slowly add the powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency. If frosting is too thick, add more strawberry puree.
7. Using a frosting bag (or zip-lock bag with a clipped corner) pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
8. For the decoration, melt baking chocolate according to directions in the microwave.
9. Meanwhile, place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and wash strawberries.
10. Dip strawberries in melted chocolate and place on the cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to let the chocolate set.
11. Place one chocolate-dipped strawberry on top of each cupcake and enjoy!