In downtown Golden on Washington Avenue stands a building that seems to be straight out of the 1920s. Old Capitol Grill was last remodeled in 1993, and the outside restored to its former glory. Built by W.A.H. Loveland, the building that houses the Old Capitol Grill was once the capitol building of the Colorado territory. The first legislature sessions were held there in 1866, during the time when Denver and Golden were in a battle over which city would become the capital city. Loveland, himself, was one of Mines first trustees, and the school held some of its first sessions in his building as well. Old Capitol Grill spans the Loveland building, as well as the north side of the building, built by Adolf Coors.
The Old Capitol Grill serves a variety of delicious food for lunch or dinner. Appetizers include foods such as the Rocky Hills Nachos, onion rings, and artichoke dip. One of their most delicious offerings, the onion soup, satisfies with a plentiful amount of red and white onions. Topped with croutons and cheese, the soup arrives with a giant piece of Texas toast. The Steer on a Roll sandwich includes sliced roast beef, Swiss cheese, and grilled onions with a side of either au jus or BBQ sauce. For something simpler, the fish and chips consists of hot, fried fish with a plentiful helping of french fries and tartar sauce. Just like with every other dish they serve, dessert at the Old Capitol Grill does not skimp on proportion. A slice of Lookout Mountain Chocolate Cake takes up almost an entire entree plate and could feed a party of four.
Old Capitol Grill provides a great atmosphere, with pictures from the building’s past lining every wall. With a very friendly staff, customers can sit inside and enjoy the historic setting inside or enjoy Golden’s lovely spring weather outside.