In many areas of healthcare, personalized medicine is becoming increasingly more ubiquitous. From gene therapies developed from an individual’s DNA to made-to-fit orthopedic replacements, personalized care is transforming the healthcare industry. Jeff Bishop from Zimmer Personalized Joint Replacement Technologies gave the Mines community an interesting insight as to how more advanced fabrication techniques, improved medical scanning technologies, and big data are converging to provide more effective joint replacements. With a more accurate understanding of the anatomical structure of the knee, tibia, and other joints, orthopedic companies can provide patients with increased mobility and higher durability of their replaced joints after orthopedic surgery.
While most Van Tuyl lecturers come with some amount of praise for what they have done, when the lecture started with Mines professor Dr. Kamini Singha stating that the upcoming presenter “single handily changed the way we think about characterizing watersheds with geophysical methods,” she was understating the developments that would be discussed throughout the lecture. The speaker in question was Dr. Burke Minsley from USGS in Denver. Minsley is crucial in overlapping the worlds of geophysics and hydrology and the result has been increased accuracy and modeling in both disciplines.
“The majority of the world’s designers focus all their efforts on developing products and services exclusively for the richest 10 percent of the world’s consumers. Nothing less than a revolution in design is needed to reach the other 90 percent,” summarized Dr. Paul Polak of International Development Enterprises. This concept is used by the humanitarian engineering community to explain why there is need for the profession. Engineers without Borders (EWB), Bridges to Prosperity, and other humanitarian engineering programs and organizations are striving to create this revolution.
Last Tuesday, India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (coined MOM) took off with no foreseen complications. The primary goal of this mission is to prove to the international community that India has the capability to reach space and perform experiments, as told by representatives of India’s space agency. If the 300 day mission is successful, India will become the 4th country to have successfully sent a probe to the Red Planet.
This Friday saw Texas A&M’s own Dr. Jeffrey Hart present to a packed room at this week’s AMS department colloquium. Hart presented on research conducted by himself and a student of his at Texas A&M, titled “Testing equality of a large number of densities.”
Located in the heart of Denver, the capital boasts a thriving art community. Amongst the skyscrapers of the business world, people can take refuge here to express their appreciation of fine culture. Coffee shop aromas grace the senses as one makes his way to his preferred venue. The most notable of these reputable vices is located in the Boettcher Concert Hall, its grand exterior hinting to the wonders that can be found inside. It is here that the world-renowned Colorado Symphony Orchestra calls home. Boasting a seat capacity of 2,362, the musicians have the potential to reach hundreds of thousands every year with their work.
Once a week, strategic masters clash in the club Magic: The Gathering. It is here that students can express their joy of the popular card game. “This game… pisses me off more than you can imagine,” shared current president Everett. Despite his obvious sarcasm, the general atmosphere of the room surrenders their true opinion: that this is their hobby, and this is what they like to do.
The Broadway musical that caught the world by storm in 2011 returned to Denver this October for its second U.S. tour. “The Book of Mormon,” written by Robert Lopez and “South Park” co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, won nine Tony Awards in 2011 including Best Musical.
By far the greatest misconception about space spread by movies doesn’t involve sounds or laser beams, it lies in the actual act of traveling through space. Improbable ideas such as light speed and warp travel aside, zooming around in space is unlike any sort of travel that occurs under the confines of gravity. Here on the surface of Earth, most movement is done by brute effort, there is very little grace to moving around, even in the beautiful act of flying. In space, motion involves understanding a few physics equations and exploiting them to get from point A to point B without using much fuel.