Vegetarian lasagna is an excellent choice for anyone, whether vegetarian or not. This is for one simple reason: it is cheap. As a poor college student, it is often difficult to cook on a budget and still make tasty meals. Vegetarianism is a good solution to this because meat can be quite pricey so avoiding it can be cost effective. Most people avoid vegetarian food because they are under the ignorant assumption that vegetarian food either is not very good or that it just is not ‘right’. Anyone under that assumption is wrong. Vegetarian meals can be delicious and sometimes it is impossible to tell that the meat is missing. So to save money and try some vegetarian food, make a vegetarian lasagna. This is an incredibly simple recipe that anyone can follow.
One 24 oz jar of tomato sauce (any brand or flavor will work)
One package of lasagna noodles
Two 15 oz packages of ricotta cheese
¼ cup of milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a nine by thirteen pan with Canola oil or vegetable oil.
2. Pour the tomato sauce into a saucepan and heat on the stove. At this point, spices or garlic can be added to jazz up the sauce but this is completely optional and will work whether or not anything is added to the sauce.
3. A pot of water should be boiled and the noodles added. The most difficult part of this entire process is ensuring that all of the noodles are cooked well. This is difficult because it is often hard to fit all of the noodles into the boiling water and ensure that they are all submerged.
4. In a bowl, the ricotta, egg and milk should be mixed. More milk may need to be added. Milk should be added until the cheese and egg mixture is roughly the same consistency as the tomato sauce.
5. Once the noodles are completely cooked they should be strained and rinsed with cold water until they can be handled without the pasta being too hot to hold.
6. A layer of noodles should be placed on the bottom of the pan. On top of this add a layer of the tomato sauce. On top of the tomato sauce, a layer of the ricotta cheese should be added.
7. Repeat step 6 until all of the noodles and tomato sauce have been used up.
8. Any extra cheese mixture can be added to the top of the lasagna.
9. Place pan in oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown.
This is a delicious meal that is quite cheap and easy to make. The lack of meat might not even be noticed by anyone eating it.
'Cheap Vegetarian Lasagna' has no commentsBe the first to comment this post!